Rebate Delays Irk Bargain Hunters

from the it's-all-a-scam dept

In the past year, I've bought two products that offered a "rebate". After waiting about five months to get back the first one, I called the company up and they told me (surprise, surprise) that my rebate had just gone out that day. At the time I didn't think too much of it. Now, I'm about 3 months in on the second product I bought with a rebate, and I get the feeling I may have to go through the same process to actually get the money. What a coincidence it will be when I call and they've just sent out the check. The Mercury News is reprinting a NY Times article talking about how all the various rebate programs work by trying to decrease redemption rates. It's basically a big scam by manufacturers. They get people to buy in at the low prices. Then, many people never send in the rebate forms (I've been guilty of this too), or find it nearly impossible to comply with the weird rebate rules. The companies that process the rebates can reject the claims for just about any reason - and often do without telling you at all. In the end, this process is angering customers. I know that I'm becoming increasingly skeptical on rebates after these latest experiences. One thing the article suggests, is that if you see a rebate offer from one retailer, go to a different retailer and see if they'll match the after-rebate price on the spot. Many will do so. It's a good way to get the same price without the hassle.
Hide this

Thank you for reading this Techdirt post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.

Techdirt is one of the few remaining truly independent media outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis.

While other websites have resorted to paywalls, registration requirements, and increasingly annoying/intrusive advertising, we have always kept Techdirt open and available to anyone. But in order to continue doing so, we need your support. We offer a variety of ways for our readers to support us, from direct donations to special subscriptions and cool merchandise — and every little bit helps. Thank you.

–The Techdirt Team

Reader Comments

Subscribe: RSS

View by: Time | Thread

  • identicon
    Oliver Wendell Jones, 1 May 2003 @ 12:07pm

    Sony is good

    Or at least has provided the illusion of being good so far. I bought one of their USB thumb drives, a Sony Micro Vault, which offered one of three free accessories as a mail in rebate.

    I submitted the forms and UPC code, receipt, etc, and within two weeks I received an e-mail indicating that they had received everything, it was all that they needed, and a link where I could track the status of my rebate progress.

    If everybody ran a rebate system like that, the world would be a better place.

    If they would just do away the concept of mail in rebates and offer only instant rebates, the world be an even better place.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

    • identicon
      C Wall, 1 May 2003 @ 1:18pm

      Sharp is lagging

      I bought a 20" Sharp Aquos tv two months ago, with a promise of a $200 rebate if I sent Sharp a copy of the receipt and my name and address.
      So far, I have not heard back from them.

      link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 1 May 2003 @ 6:37pm

    logitech rebate scam...

    ...ran into a problem with logitech. Submitted everything required and *still* didn't get a rebate. What a rip off..

    You know... it's too bad there isn't a way to scam the scammers. You know, grab a hand full of forms at the store, make fake reciepts, reproduce the product bar codes (a la the reprice thing that just got Walmart in a huf) and renting a 100 mailboxes at "Mailboxs-R-Us". Heck, I'd be happy if all the auction scammers move to this particular avenue of "employment". Maybe then companies would get their S^!# in order.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    larry, 12 Aug 2006 @ 6:39am

    logitech new egg rebate scam

    I see Im not the lone ranger on this one. Ditto to all the above .

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Mike King, 21 Nov 2006 @ 7:45am

    SANdisk

    SANdisk rejected one of mine. I had evidence of what I sent but they refused to give me my money. It was$10. Be sure that you buy all your memory cards from Kingston, Dane, Lexar, PreTec, Panasonic, etc... Don't buy anything from SANdisk ever!

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    rumblefish, 7 Dec 2006 @ 10:16am

    Newegg

    I ordered a 23" Hyundai LCD TV from Newegg recently that had a $100 rebate. They voided my order saying that my credit card was declined but that's not true, I checked with my card company and they see no attempts. I think it was a scam or they ran out of this item.

    Never had any problems with any of my Sandisk rebates. The rebates for them are VERY specific to what models qualify.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Dan, 28 Feb 2007 @ 8:00pm

    NewEgg + myrebates411 Scam

    NewEgg has recently teamed up with many manufacturers and a scam "company" called myrebates411.com to mislead customers about non-existing mail-in rebates (means the rebates are getting rejected for bogus reasons such as "invalid ID on envelope). I am a victim, too. The stories are all over the internet.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    RP, 16 Jul 2007 @ 6:47pm

    Logitech Rebates...Yeah right

    I also had problems with Logitech. Purchased a Harmony remote earlier this year and followed rebate instructions perfectly. After months went by, I requested the status only to be told I did not included the UPC from the box. What a joke. It is shameful Logitech uses this ruse to sell products and not follow through on the comitment for rebates. I will never purchase another Logitech product.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Annoyed, 17 Jul 2007 @ 7:24pm

    Logitech rebates... total scam

    I agree with the previous comments about logitech. I have been waiting for 7 months for a rebate. When I call they either say it's still being 'processed' or it's been mailed. Funny how the post office keeps losing my rebate. I used to buy a lot of logitech products, but not any more after this.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Jason, 15 Nov 2007 @ 2:36am

    Eagle-Tech Rip Off Rebate

    I just received the reponse below from eagletech regarding the status of my 100.00 rebate for the Viper case I purchased from the newegg website.

    I was warned from friends that Eagle-Tech has a reputation for not honoring their rebates, and will flat out lie about someone not providing enough information when sending in the rebate form so they would not have to honor it.

    On 7/14/2007 I sent in all of the required information (within the specified 14 day period), *exactly* as the rebate form indicated, with my newegg receipt, mail-in rebate form, and original UPC. I also made triplicate copies of everything I sent, *and* sent the letter certified.

    True to form, as you can see below, they stated that I'm missing my sales invoice, in hopes that I will simply give up, and wait another 12 weeks for them to not honor the rebate.

    > From: rebate@eagle-techusa.com
    > Subject: RE: Status of rebate
    > Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:51:57 -0800
    >
    > Dear Customer:
    >
    > We have received your rebate mail on 07/16/07.
    >
    > Rebate: Received

    > Reason: Missing Sales Invoice
    >
    > (The mail-in letter is only the "processing page")
    >
    > If you would, I could do you a one time favor by re-submit your rebate to
    > our rebate process center again.
    >
    > In order to do that, I need your INVOICE PAGE first. And please understand
    > by re-submit your rebate; the process time takes 12 weeks.
    >
    > Here are the instructions of how to get the invoice # from Newegg:
    >
    > 7. You have to login to your account, by entering your email address
    > and password.
    > 8. After login, click "Go To My Account."
    > 9. Then you click the second option, "Order History/Print History."
    > 10. Then you select the invoice number.
    > 11. Then click on Printer.
    > 12. After following the steps that will take you into the invoice.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Rebate Dept.

    Do not do business with this shady company.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

    • identicon
      Andy, 24 Jan 2008 @ 4:27pm

      Re: Eagle-Tech Rip Off Rebate

      I am in your shoe too but they did not let me re-submit my rebate.

      Did you yet your rebate Jason ? since they let you re-submit. What did you tell them to let you re-submit your rebate?

      thanks.

      link to this | view in chronology ]

    • identicon
      .knowdice., 14 Jul 2008 @ 2:27pm

      Re: Eagle-Tech Rip Off Rebate

      I'm glad I'm not the only one! I know how to send in a rebate, okay? Eagle-Tech explained to me they never "received" my rebate. As far as I'm concerned, they owe me $100 forever.

      link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Barry Bonham, 26 Feb 2008 @ 8:44pm

    Rebates

    I have processed $2257 in rebates over the last 5 years, and have received every rebate I applied for with the exception of 1 that required some negotiation (I did not circle the date) and received 1/2 its value. The trick is to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY. If the rebate is for more than $50 I use signature confirmation return certified mail. Also EXPECT to have to call/email/bug them to get some rebates. When you email them, always attach jpg scans of your documents.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

Follow Techdirt
Essential Reading
Techdirt Deals
Techdirt Insider Discord

The latest chatter on the Techdirt Insider Discord channel...

Recent Stories

This site, like most other sites on the web, uses cookies. For more information, see our privacy policy. Got it
Close

Email This

This feature is only available to registered users. Register or sign in to use it.