Bath & Bodyworks Goes To Court To Explain To Summit Entertainment That The Word Twilight Existed Before The Movie

from the time-of-day-vs.-vampire-saga dept

We've covered many examples of movie studio Summit Entertainment being ridiculously overprotective when it came to the trademark on Twilight. Among other things, it's sued Zazzle for merchandise made by others (hello, secondary liability), it's shut down a Twilight fanzine, it's claimed that only it can make a documentary about the town where Twilight is supposed to take place and even shut down a silly 8-bit YouTube game that plays off of Twilight.

Apparently Summit is now going after totally unrelated products that have "Twilight" in their name. It sent a threat letter to retailer Bath & Bodyworks, because that company sells "Twilight Woods" body lotion. Rather than fold, or wait for a lawsuit, the retailer has gone to court to get a declaratory judgment that it doesn't infringe. It notes there's quite a difference here:
"The term 'Twilight' is used so as to evoke the idea of a particular time of day when the sun is just below the horizon, illuminating the landscape," the lawsuit says. "Whereas defendant uses the term 'Twilight' to refer to defendant's teen vampire saga."
Hide this

Thank you for reading this Techdirt post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.

Techdirt is one of the few remaining truly independent media outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis.

While other websites have resorted to paywalls, registration requirements, and increasingly annoying/intrusive advertising, we have always kept Techdirt open and available to anyone. But in order to continue doing so, we need your support. We offer a variety of ways for our readers to support us, from direct donations to special subscriptions and cool merchandise — and every little bit helps. Thank you.

–The Techdirt Team

Filed Under: confusion, trademark, twilight
Companies: bath & bodyworks, summit entertainment

Reader Comments

Subscribe: RSS

View by: Time | Thread

  • identicon
    DrD., 10 Mar 2011 @ 10:17pm

    Oh Summit. YOU SO CRAZY!

    link to this | view in chronology ]

    • icon
      Josh in CharlotteNC (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 9:41am

      Re:

      Summit is definitely crazy.

      You might even say that they've entered the 'Twilight Zone' in their activities regarding trademark.

      link to this | view in chronology ]

  • icon
    Zauber Paracelsus (profile), 10 Mar 2011 @ 10:18pm

    What's the point of protecting the trademark on one of the most hated franchises ever?

    link to this | view in chronology ]

    • identicon
      annamorphos, 10 Mar 2011 @ 10:32pm

      Re: hated?

      Because the "most hated" franchise has amassed billions (and billions) of dollars. I guess people just like throwing their money away on things they hate. -_-

      link to this | view in chronology ]

      • identicon
        Anonymous Coward, 10 Mar 2011 @ 10:46pm

        Re: Re: hated?

        [citation needed]

        link to this | view in chronology ]

        • icon
          Greg G (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 3:56am

          Re: Re: Re: hated?

          Citation? I got your citation right here.

          I hate The Twilight Saga. In fact, no one I know likes it.

          I even saw one of the movies, not sure which one, but it was the worst movie ever. And yes, I mean ever. Even worse than Transylvania 6-5000 (because that at least had a hot vampire babe in it.)

          link to this | view in chronology ]

          • icon
            Joe (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 6:32am

            Re: Re: Re: Re: hated?

            Isn't twilight that series about a young girl and her choice between necrophilia and bestiality?

            link to this | view in chronology ]

            • icon
              Sean T Henry (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 7:22am

              Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hated?

              Yes but what she does not know is that her corpse love is really a "fabulous queen who wears to much glitter".

              It's good that B&B did not have glitter in "Twilight Woods" body lotion or they might have also been sued on the grounds that only there Vampires can sparkle. Watch out gay night clubs who are Vampire friendly YOUR NEXT.

              (Note: I have nothing against same sex relationships or there life style.)

              link to this | view in chronology ]

              • identicon
                Llama, 15 Mar 2011 @ 3:01pm

                Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hated?

                It actually does have glitter in it, hilariously.

                link to this | view in chronology ]

          • identicon
            JMG, 11 Mar 2011 @ 8:23am

            Re: Re: Re: Re: hated?

            You have never seen Troll 2 or The Room then.

            link to this | view in chronology ]

            • identicon
              Rekrul, 11 Mar 2011 @ 9:35am

              Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hated?

              You have never seen Troll 2 or The Room then.

              The IMDb has 18 films listed titled The Room. Which one are you referring to?

              link to this | view in chronology ]

              • identicon
                RD, 11 Mar 2011 @ 10:16am

                Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hated?

                "The IMDb has 18 films listed titled The Room. Which one are you referring to?"

                The only one that matters. The only one that is THE ROOM - the legendarily, laughably, incredibly bad one by Tommy Wiseau.

                link to this | view in chronology ]

                • identicon
                  Rekrul, 14 Mar 2011 @ 11:38am

                  Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hated?

                  Ok. I thought maybe it was the 2006 Belgium horror movie.

                  link to this | view in chronology ]

              • identicon
                JMG, 11 Mar 2011 @ 11:31am

                Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hated?

                What RD said. Words can't describe the awfulness of Tommy Wiseau's The Room. It has to be seen to appreciate how incredibly bad it is.

                link to this | view in chronology ]

          • icon
            vivaelamor (profile), 12 Mar 2011 @ 7:12am

            Re: Re: Re: Re: hated?

            "I hate The Twilight Saga. In fact, no one I know likes it."

            Yeah, because that's such an unlikely correlation.

            link to this | view in chronology ]

        • identicon
          DerFuzzy, 11 Mar 2011 @ 4:43am

          Re: Re: Re: hated?

          Citation:

          *I* hate and wish it would go away and hope they get a good legal smackdown with court costs of and attorney fees x 100000000000000000.

          link to this | view in chronology ]

        • identicon
          Anonymous Coward, 11 Mar 2011 @ 6:00am

          Re: Re: Re: hated?

          I think he is referring to articles like this one, saying that Sumit is hoping to get $1.2 billion dollars, mirroring the first two that apparently made $1.1 billion dollars in ticket sales.

          But really, that film is boriiiiiiiiiing! and no were near "billions and billions" in revenues LoL

          link to this | view in chronology ]

        • icon
          jsf (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 9:15am

          Re: Re: Re: hated?

          According to BoxOfficeMojo.com the three Twilight movies so far have grossed about $1.8 billion at the theater. That doesn't include any DVD sales, the original books or any other merchandise. So yeah it is billions and billions of dollars.

          link to this | view in chronology ]

    • icon
      Capitalist Lion Tamer (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 2:56am

      Re:

      Oh pop culture. YOU SO CRAZY!

      link to this | view in chronology ]

  • icon
    Hugh S. Myers (profile), 10 Mar 2011 @ 10:42pm

    is there a possibility of money

    in the declarative judgment? Would be nice to see these people not only stopped in court but forced to reach into their bank account and cough up a bit 'just because'...

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Michael Lockyear, 10 Mar 2011 @ 11:06pm

    If I go to a public park and start loading the benches and playground equipment into my truck, I will be arrested because taking something out of the public domain and trying to make it private property is basically theft.

    The same should apply to people / companies who try to steal words.

    PS I like the letter "M", from now on I think that everyone should pay me a license fee to use it...

    link to this | view in chronology ]

    • identicon
      MrWilson, 10 Mar 2011 @ 11:24pm

      Re:

      Sorry. The Phoenicians have prior art.

      link to this | view in chronology ]

      • icon
        Josh in CharlotteNC (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 8:32am

        Re: Re:

        Nah, the Phoenicians were infringing on Ug the Caveman's rights. He was the first to make the 'Mmm' sound, and the Phoenicians illegally took the sound and transformed it into a written letter without Ug's consent.

        link to this | view in chronology ]

    • icon
      Paul Hobbs (profile), 10 Mar 2011 @ 11:34pm

      Re:

      That's just plain dub. Ha! I don't owe you a sent!

      link to this | view in chronology ]

    • icon
      btr1701 (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 3:48pm

      Re: Absurdities

      > I like the letter "M", from now on I think that
      > everyone should pay me a license fee to use it...

      The problem with modern IP law, is it's gotten so ridiculous that every time you think you've come up with an example that's ridiculously absurd to illustrate a point, you find out that someone somewhere has actually tried do it for real.

      The University of Texas actually tried to do this. They went all legal over a group of college kids selling t-shirts with a big capital "T" on the front, saying they held a trademark on the letter and no one could use it without their permission.

      Thankfully the court told UT where to stick it and told them they couldn't monopolize a letter of the English language and charge all others for its use.

      link to this | view in chronology ]

    • icon
      another mike (profile), 14 Mar 2011 @ 9:13am

      Re:

      Benches and playground equipment are property of your city parks department and not public domain. It is public property since it is owned by a government for the use of its citizens. Taking that property is theft; no "basically" about it but also nothing to do with public domain.
      Public domain is an entirely different concept of property. Attempting to misappropriate the works of Shakespeare, ironic as that would be, would not be theft since those works are in the public domain.
      So, no, the same does not apply because the analogy is flawed.

      link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Chris Wolfwood, 10 Mar 2011 @ 11:24pm

    Wow... Summit Entertainment finally has one movie that makes the studio money and they wanna spend all pf the profits on baseless lawsuits.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • icon
    mike allen (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 12:14am

    They are MAD mad i tell you MAD

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Anonymous Poster, 11 Mar 2011 @ 12:17am

    Dear Summit Entertainment:

    You do not own the word "twilight" in every instance it is ever used. We understand that you are protective of your exploitative, sexist, often disturbing series of books/films (which happen to feature one of the most unromantic "romances" in the history of creative expression). However, that paranoid protectionism does not give you the right to claim complete ownership of a word that has existed well before anyone who ever worked for your company was ever born. Please cease your idiocy, or we may be forced to regard you as being one of the least intelligent media companies of the 21st Century.

    Sincerely,
    Every intelligent, free-thinking person on the planet (in other words, everyone who isn't a Twilight fan)

    P.S. - I'm with Blade.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

    • icon
      Josef Anvil (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 1:42am

      Re:

      Internal Memorandum

      To: CEO Summit Entertainment
      cc: Board of Directors
      From: The legal dept.
      Re: Trademark Protection

      We, your legal team from the firm Dewey Cheetum & Howe, urge you to disregard the negative publicity surrounding our efforts to protect your trademark. While we understand that Twilight has been in use for the marketing of many products and services over the years, none of those were nearly as successful as the brand created by Summit Entertainment. Therefore all other uses of the trademarked Twilight should, at the very least pay an annual license fee to Summit Entertainment for use of the word.

      We expect quite a bit of resistance from those abusing your mark as well as from the court systems in the US and EU and so we are asking for another $10mil USD in order to properly represent your interest. We are certain that our efforts are saving Summit Entertainment far more than the $10mil we are asking to fund our ongoing litigation.

      link to this | view in chronology ]

  • icon
    Not an Electronic Rodent (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 12:27am

    Oh well

    I guess there goes some nice(?) chocolates that have been around for years......

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • icon
    GeneralEmergency (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 12:49am

    So why are you acting so surprised?

    Summit's lawyers are clearly the blood suckers in this tale of horror.

    Someone needs to tear down the curtains at noon.

    .

    Anonymous Coward, 11 Mar 2011 @ 3:29am

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • icon
    Shon Gale (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 5:20am

    I thought the word 'Twilight' was a description of their mental abilities.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • icon
    hmm (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 5:31am

    previous art

    In World of warcraft, theres several guilds with the name twilight that have existed for far longer than summit entertainment......wonder if they could sue?

    link to this | view in chronology ]

    • identicon
      Steve, 11 Mar 2011 @ 5:55am

      Re: previous art

      There is also a current plot story in WoW about the 'Twilight Cult', I'd like to see Summit go after Blizzard/Activision...

      link to this | view in chronology ]

      • identicon
        Anonymous Coward, 11 Mar 2011 @ 7:53am

        Re: Re: previous art

        However, the Twilight Cult doesn't have vampires....nor does Twilight Highlands....or the Twilight Council...

        But there are some pretty Twilight Drakes...

        link to this | view in chronology ]

    • identicon
      Anonymous Coward, 11 Mar 2011 @ 7:51am

      Re: previous art

      Ahh but Twilight Cutters didn't exist until AFTER the Twilight movies....Oops! Didn't mean to give them ideas!

      link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 11 Mar 2011 @ 5:55am

    Whoever owns the Twilight Zone IP should sue Summit. Their claim would be tenuous but about a million times more credible than Summit's claim against Bath and Body Works

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    fritz43, 11 Mar 2011 @ 6:35am

    Twilight nonsense.

    With regard to frivolous lawsuits, the English Rule should be universal: you sue, you lose, you pay *all* costs & fees related to the lawsuit, yours *and* the defendants.

    Why is this not in place? (Never mind, I know why.)

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • icon
    Matthew (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 6:49am

    Is it too much...

    Is it too much to hope that the judgement includes the phrase "The plaintiffs are hereby declared to be a bunch of money-grubbing morons."

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 11 Mar 2011 @ 7:30am

    I'd prefer if someone would drive a stake through the heart of the Twilight franchise

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • icon
    duffmeister (profile), 11 Mar 2011 @ 8:36am

    best description ever........

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 11 Mar 2011 @ 8:38am

    I knew this was coming.... as soon as I saw Twilight Woods and thought to myself "What DOES Twilight the movie smell like.... Sure enough, I think they've got it..."

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Danny, 11 Mar 2011 @ 8:46am

    If they think they own the word Twilight....

    I want to see them break really bad. There was this game from a few years ago called "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess".

    I challenge Summit to go after the folks who "infringed" by using the word they supposedly own.

    Summit vs. Nintendo????

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Rekrul, 11 Mar 2011 @ 9:38am

    I wonder what Rod Serling's estate thinks of all this...

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    wvhillbilly, 12 Mar 2011 @ 3:55pm

    Silly lawsuits over word "Twilight"

    Shades of Monster Cable, suing everybody under the sun for using the word "monster" in any kind of commercial context. They even sued a mom-and-pop clothing store for using the name "Monster Clothing", and Disney for "Monsters Inc."

    Such shenanigans as this give me the impression people filing such lawsuits are just greedy for money any way they can get it, and don't care who they ruin in the process.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    JonathanWOP, 13 Mar 2011 @ 4:15pm

    Will they go after Hasbro next? Because the main character in the new My Little Pony cartoon is named Twilight Sparkle.

    link to this | view in chronology ]

Follow Techdirt
Essential Reading
Techdirt Deals
Techdirt Insider Discord

The latest chatter on the Techdirt Insider Discord channel...

Recent Stories

This site, like most other sites on the web, uses cookies. For more information, see our privacy policy. Got it
Close

Email This

This feature is only available to registered users. Register or sign in to use it.